BEE PRODUCTS FOR HEALTH AND BEAUTY – MEET NATUREBEE
We spoke to Jeff Cook, founder of New Zealand based NATUREBEE about the health benefits and then ethics of using bee products…
1) What sort of products can bees supply us with?
It is estimated that 50-80% of the world’s food supply comes directly, or indirectly, from bees. Directly they provide honey, pollen, propolis, royal jelly and wax. Indirectly they are responsible for pollinating much of the world’s food crops. In ancient times bees were considered sacred as they provided so many natural medicinal, cosmetic and nutritional products.
2) What benefits do these products provide?
Pollen is considered one of the most nutrient rich foods on the planet. It contains virtually every known nutritional element and has been called a ‘superfood’. Bee pollen is used as a tonic to help support every cell in the body, increase immunity, provide an energy boost and to help correct imbalances in the body. Propolis and Royal Jelly are also beneficial to health. As well as therapeutic remedies, many of the products from the hive are used in skin care, both for cosmetic purposes and for healing.
3) What sort of products contain these ingredients from bees?
For thousands of years, bee products have been used to heal and beautify…
- Pollen is a natural superfood which is touted as one of the best natural multivitamin supplements on the planet. It can be consumed raw, or in capsule form. Pollen is used in beauty products too, such as soaps and creams.
- Beeswax is used in skin care, soaps, candle making, furniture polishes – even crayons.
- Honey is used in skin creams, soaps and balms and as a topical healing agent on its own. Honey’s anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties have long been recognized, and therefore it is used in hospitals as a wound dressing, and to help with burn scars etc.
- Royal Jelly, which is a pale yellow substance created when bees mix honey and pollen with enzymes from their salivary glands, is used in beauty products, and in capsule or pill form to treat digestive disorders, menopausal symptoms, high cholesterol, fatigue and many other ailments.
- Propolis is a sticky substance collected from resinous trees and plants by bees, then mixed with their own saliva. Because of its antibacterial properties, it is used to sterilize the hive and inhibit the spread of bacteria and viruses. Propolis is used as a natural alternative to penicillin, and can help prevent infections as well as treating them. It is often used in toothpaste because of its ability to treat mouth bacteria, gums disease and bad breath.
- Bee venom is used to help treat bee sting allergies, and it has also been used successfully in topical products to help ease the pain caused by certain types of arthritis
NatureBee has a complete range of products from the hive, including pollen, propolis, royal jelly…and almost all our skincare products contain variants of these products, as well as Manuka honey. We have face and hand creams, lotions, sunscreen, soap and lip balm. We also stock bee venom cream for both therapeutic and cosmetic purposes.
4) How are these ingredients harvested? Surely the bees make them because they need them to survive so really we shouldn’t be taking them?
Bee products have been harvested for thousands of years. Bees spend spring and summer collecting nectar and pollen to make into honey and to keep them in food throughout the winter. Most harvesting is done in early spring, and only what the bees haven’t used. In the case of pollen, the bees collect it by loading up and stuffing the grains into little pockets on their legs. When they return to the hive they pass through a trap, and some of the pollen falls through into a collection tray, but not all. And no bees are harmed in the collection of bee venom, as their stingers are never embedded. A pane of glass and a very weak electrical current is used to stimulate the bees to sting and leave behind the venom which is painstakingly collected.
5) What are the other ingredients in your products? Are they all natural and organic?
Wherever possible, all our products are sourced locally in clean, green New Zealand, where the pollution factor is minimal. We endeavour to use mainly substances from the hive to incorporate into our natural health and beauty products. NatureBee has been providing these products to consumers all over the world for almost two decades.
6) Where can people find out more?
Visit our website at www.naturebeeUK.com or call a consultant on 03300 500 501 (local rate call from both landlines/mobiles and free in call packages)
New Zealand based NATUREBEE was born in 1997 when Jeff and Ben Cook joined forces. The father / son team discovered a special process developed by Canterbury University, still considered to be ground breaking today, that unlocks the nutrients of bee pollen, making it far more digestible than normal bee pollen. This proprietary process was later to be named the ‘potentiation process’ and is continually used only by NATUREBEE on their New Zealand bee pollen. NATUREBEE is now available in almost every country in the world.
NATUREBEE strives to make premium New Zealand made healthfood products for the whole family. Each NATUREBEE product is guaranteed by a 100% moneyback guarantee.
If you have any further queries about NATUREBEE or NATUREBEE products please contact us.